Monday, 30 March 2015

Carmilla by J.Sheridan Le Fanu Book Review

Hey guys! So I just finished reading Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu. As you know, I watched the web series. So I was really excited to read it. It pre-dates Dracula by 26 years, and was written 243 years ago.


I found a free, not abbreviated version online which I'll link below. The web series sticks well to the novella(a novella is a book that is shorter than a novel). The characters have the same names, and a lot of the same things happen. There are four major differences:

a) In the book, Laura is not at a University. She is at her home.

b) Carmilla is evil, whereas Carmilla in the web series is sort of good.

c) The character Danni from the web series is not in the book.

d) the ending to the book is far different to the web series.

Don't read the prologue, it's only an author's note and has nothing to do with the story. At first, I was like meh. The first chapter is kinda hard to read, but then things started happening, and it was just so awesome. The style in which it is written is old so sometimes it's a bit hard to read, here's an example from Chapter Six:

"I had a dream that night that was the beginning of a very strange agony.
I cannot call it a nightmare, for I was quite conscious of being asleep. But I was equally conscious of being in my room, and lying in bed, precisely as I actually was. I saw, or fancied I saw, the room and its furniture just as I had seen it last, except that it was very dark, and I saw something moving round the foot of the bed, which at first I could not accurately distinguish. But I soon saw that it was a sooty-black animal that resembled a monstrous cat. It appeared to me about four or five feet long for it measured fully the length of the hearthrug as it passed over it; and it continued to-ing and fro-ing with the lithe, sinister restlessness of a beast in a cage. I could not cry out, although as you may suppose, I was terrified."

When I watched the web series I thought that the ship Hollistien(Laura and Carmilla) was non canon. But since reading the book, I'm not so sure. *spoiler!* Carmilla in the book 'loves' Laura, if you can say that a vampire that wants to eat you is in love with you. In the web series Carmilla does love Laura. I'm just super confused. If you've read the book, please tell me in the comments whether or not you think Hollistien is a canon ship.

After reading this novella I now know much more about the habits of vampires, how to kill them etc than I ever did before. Who knows...maybe that knowledge will  come in handy someday if I'm ever targeted by a vampire..... ;)

This book was really good. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars. My only problem with it is that I wish it was longer.(It's only sixteen chapters, and the chapters aren't short, but they aren't long either.)

Here's the link to the book:http://www.sff.net/people/DoyleMacdonald/l_carmil.htm
                                                         Namarie and have fun reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.