Friday, 15 January 2016

Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs | Book Review

So recently I finished reading Library of Souls, the third and final book of Ransom Riggs's Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children trilogy, and DAMMM it was good! I'm going to miss this series so much!
A lot of times I've found that the last book in a trilogy is mostly disappointing, because the author fails to satisfyingly wrap up the story, but Ransom Riggs obviously doesn't have that problem! I could not have asked for a better conclusion to this trilogy! Well....except for one thing that I will be ranting about in the spoiler section. LoS was very well paced, the humour was as good and fresh as ever, and the world even more peculiar than the last two books(which is saying a lot!) I really enjoyed the way the romance progressed, as it did not take over from the story and was kept to small, subtle moments. This book is definitely 5/5 stars!


NOW LEAVE, BECAUSE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT, YOU REALLY, REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED FOR LoS BECAUSE THINGS HAPPEN. LOTS OF THINGS THAT ARE MAJOR SPOILERS.


















OK. SO. WHY THE HECK IS FIONA DEAD?!! Her death did not help the plot at all; I feel like Ransom just wanted to kill off somebody so he did. It would've made more sense for someone like Millard or Hugo to die, but nooo. Throughout the whole book I was expecting her to come back and not actually be dead, because her death was never actually confirmed, and so here's me at the end of the books waiting for Fiona show up with the rest of the peculiars, and, of course, she didn't! R.I.P FIONA
LOL that moment when their on the train, and those two teenagers walked in while Addison was talking, and they screamed. PERFECTION.
And that moment when they got off the elevator, and walk straight into the midst of a Comic Con thing with all those cosplayers, and Emma and Addison freaked out, and Emma wants to know why everybody is dressed up so weird, and this happened:

Addison: "Judging by their attire, it appears to be some sort of religious holiday."
And then Jacob's just like "Something like that." ASDFGHJKL RANSOM RIGGS DOES IT AGAIN!

When we first met Sharon, I really thought he was a weight. He was so freaky and weird. But then when we reached Devil's Acre, and he scared those people off by showing them his face, I thought he was some kind of monster.
   Can we talk about Devil's Acre? UGH THE NON-PECULIAR SECTION IS SO GROSS!!!!!! Ransom did a really good job of making me want to puke when he talked about the water being filled with years of refuse and garbage, and then THE INHABITANTS DRINK IT. UGHHH. Luckily the peculiar section was much nicer. LOL when Jacob described Oozing Street as the sort of quaint street his parents would like to visit.
   The whole 'selling peculiar talents' was really creepy and messed up. I wonder how well Lorraine actually treated her peculiar children.
   Unlike Emma, I was not disappointed by the weights' lair. I really loved how it was all white and blank, kinda like their eyes.
   Ok so when Jacob said, "The bridge could be sprinted across in under a minute, I guessed, but why run? Because, I thought, a line from Tolkien materializing in my head, one does not simply walk into Mordor," I literally screamed and danced around my room, because I'm one of those fangirls who loves having a fandom of her's reference another of her fandoms. I'm still ASDFGHJKLing over it. It's my favorite quote from LoS.
    Why is it that the bridge heads reminded me of those three sisters from Greek mythology(also PJO) that had only one eye between them? I'm not sure, but maybe it's because they were talking about their eyes and stuff....hm. Was anyone else reminded of that?
     So when Addison got into the fortress, I was reading so fast that I thought he had died. For some reason. I freaked out, shut the book, and had to calm down, and then went back and re-read it, only to find out that my heart attack had been for nothing lol.
     Was I the only one who was slightly suspicious of Mr. Bentham the entire time? I never liked him, even though he sort of was the key to saving the peculiar children and the ymbrynes.
      When I found out that ambrosia was made from peculiar souls, I almost barfed. Like...NO. JUST...NO.
    Abaton(the Library of Souls) was sooooooo cool! Though I didn't quite understand why Caul and Bentham turned into monster-peculiar-things when they took those powerful peculiar souls. Idk, it was kinda strange....but then again I guess strange is a word that makes a lot of sense when talking about this trilogy!
      Am I the only one who was actually kinda fond of Jacob's first hollow? I grew sort of attached to it...I know it was a monster, but it did save their lives(ok, ok only because Jacob made it do that, but still.)
       The ending was awesome. I had a feeling Miss P. and the children would show up to save the day, and they did! I really liked how their ages were re-set so that they could live in the modern world, cause Emma and Jacob can be together now XD I loved the ending lines "And it occurred to me, standing there, just breathing with her, quiet settling around us, that those might be the three most beautiful words in the English language: We have time." Reading those words I got all teary, and the picture that went with it was so fitting and I loved it.

So that was my review of Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs! I tried a new format of reviewing, please tell me what you think of it! ALSO CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVIES ASDFGHJKL.
Stay peculiar!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.