Monday, 13 June 2016

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman || It's got everything you could ever want: dragons, libraries, sassy characters...and books. It's like bookception.

                                                                                    

Basically The Invisible Library can be described as a conglomeration of my favorite things: libraries, magic, dragons, sassy characters and alternate worlds.
Needless to say, I adored The Invisible Library. It was one of those book that you know you're going to love even before you start it. Right away you're plunged into this world(or worlds, because of all the alternate worlds?) sweeps you away, and then leaves you in an unforgiving reading slump, because it's just that good. Let's discuss what I loved and didn't love, shall we?
 

LOVES:

- Kai, KAI, KAI, KAI. He's such a fantastic character! Secretive, hot, intelligent, and totally badass.

- Irene was a perfect main character, with a really distinct voice. Even when she's panicking, she manages to keep a level head, and makes the (mostly) right choices. She's sassy, smart and very strong. Plus she loves books, so she's an A++ main character.

- The writing style. I really don't know how to describe Genevieve's writing style, but it did remind me a bit of JK Rowling's style.

- The dragon. Those of you who've read the book will know what I'm talking about.

- Bradament. Okay, I know she was kind of a jerk, but I just like how confidant and unapologetic about it she is. Idk, don't judge me.

- The whole concept of the book. CAN I PLEASE BE A LIBRARIAN??! LIKE WHERE DO I SIGN UP. I WANT TO TRAVEL TO ALTERNATE WORLDS AND LIVE IN A GIANT INVISIBLE LIBRARY. PLEASE.
 

- Peregrine Vale. First of all, best male character name award goes to him. Second of all, he's like an alternate world version of Sherlock Holmes.

-Speaking of which, A++ for all the Sherlock Holmes references.

- The alternate London. It was so strange and steampunk-y, and I really loved that.

DISLIKES:

-So I'm not sure if this is a something I actually dislike, but I had nowhere else to put it. Okay, so there was lots of death in this book, and some really gore filled scenes. But the way they were described...seemed kind of...inconsequential. Like it's told from Irene's P.O.V, and she isn't really disturbed by all the civilian deaths. She's just like 'Oh look dead bodies.' I understand she tends to try and ignore her feelings, but I wish she had been a little more feeling in those particular scenes.

- I felt that Irene guessed Kai's secret a little to early on. I think that in real life, it would have taken her a bit longer.
I'm not a DC fan(MARVEL FOR LIIIFEE) but I couldn't help myself from using this gif. Marvel fans, please don't kill me.

                                                                                    

                                       
Thanks very much to New American Library publishing (ROC) for the review copy! The Invisible Library(The Invisible Library #1) goes on sale June 14, 2016.

One thing any Librarian will tell you: the truth is much stranger than fiction...
  
Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, a shadowy organization that collects
important works of fiction from all of the different realities. Most recently, she and her enigmatic assistant Kai have been sent to an alternative London. Their mission: Retrieve a particularly dangerous book. The problem: By the time they arrive, it's already been stolen.

London's underground factions are prepared to fight to the death to find the tome before Irene and Kai do, a problem compounded by the fact that this world is chaos-infested—the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic to run rampant. To make matters worse, Kai is hiding something—secrets that could be just as volatile as the chaos-filled world itself.

Now Irene is caught in a puzzling web of deadly danger, conflicting clues, and sinister secret societies. And failure is not an option—because it isn’t just Irene’s reputation at stake, it’s the nature of reality itself...


So what did you guys think? Have you read The Invisible Library, and what did you think of it? If not, are you excited too? Do you love dragons and magic too? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS BELOW.

6 comments:

  1. AHHH I'M SO EXCITED TO READ THIS!! I've actually got it in my wishlist to buy next time I make an order and afdjsklafd bookish inception is. my. favourite. PLUS YOU JUST SAID DRAGON SO I AM BEYOND SOLD BY THAT RIGHT NOW. *shrieks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ IT!! I love bookish inception too. It's books within books, within books! What could be more awesome.
      YESSS THERE ARE DRAGONS, BUT THEY ARE NOT CONVENTIONAL DRAGONS. Just thought I'd say that, so you aren't disappointed by the non-conventional dragons, because I was slightly disappointed at first.

      Delete
  2. I AM SO GLAD YOU LIKED THIS!!!! XD

    If I'm being totally honest, I thought Kai's secret was going to be the exact opposite of what it was, if you know what I mean. Basically, I thought he was going to be the other thing. ;)

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I kinda thought that about Kai at first too, and then I changed my mind.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I havent read it but I really like the sound of it. dragons, worlds and libraries? I think any book lover would be happy to read this one.I hope the deaths are not too graphic. That just takes out all the fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deaths aren't characters that we know, they are all the background people. "The floor was littered with body parts" type of thing. It doesn't happen to often(thank god) but when it does, I just felt that Irene was very unaffected by it.
      I hope you get to read it, as it's a fantastic book!

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.