Monday, 27 June 2016

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly || I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.


LET ME SHRIEK AT YA'LL JUST HOW MUCH I ADORED THIS BOOK. IT IS NOW A PERMANENT FAVORITE. I LOVE IT. I normally don't read murder mysteries, so I was hesitant to pick it up. What first attracted me was the cover. Creepy, yet really pretty.
These Shallow Graves also depicted how confined women were back then, and how little they were allowed to do. Be a reporter? Absolutely not. Have opinions on things? Unthinkable. Walk down a street alone? Congrats, you are now a women of bad reputation. But what's that, you want to get married to this rich guy and have kids? OMG YES DO IT. IT'S THE BEST(and also only) THING YOU'LL EVER DO AND OMG I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU.


*sighs* Thank God I live in 2016.

LOVES:

- Jennifer Donnelly's writing style is so crisp and sharp. I was drawn in from the first sentence.

- Jo was such a strong character. She had a really great character ARC too. She started off as sort of independent, but not really strong enough to do things on her own; and by the end of the book she's a strong, very independent woman who doesn't need anyone.

- Can I just say how much I adored New York City in this book? It was so realistic(not that I've ever been there) but I felt like I was there.

- Can I please be a reporter? And work with Eddie Gallagher? Thanks.

- Grandmama. Most obnoxious old lady ever, but she's so hilarious. In a very bawdy way.

- THE MAP. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

-The murderer was NOT who I was expecting it to be. I was so surprised. A++

DISLIKES:

- Anna Montfort. UGH. WORST MOTHER EVER. Although she did sort of redeem herself at the end, so yeah.

- WHAT HAPPENED TO TRUDY? SHE JUST SORT OF DISAPEARED FROM THE STORY HALF WAY THROUGH. I NEED CLOSURE ON HER CHARACTER.






Have you read These Shallow Graves? Do you like murder mysteries? TELL ME BELOW!!

4 comments:

  1. This book looks pretty good! It originally caught my eye because of the cover, but I've been hesitant to read it because I usually don't like horror. Do you think it falls more under horror or mystery?

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely mystery. I don't think it could ever fall under horror, as, to put it simply, a rousing good murder mystery. I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I'm British. Of course I like murder mysteries. ;)
    When you said that she was called Jo, all I could think was Little Women. Any similarities between the characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The whole time, I was thinking of Jo from Little Women. They are both impulse driven, independent, and they both love to write. They are very similar XD

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.