Saturday, 10 September 2016

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman // Basically it's the best book I've read in a long time.


I ADORED THIS BOOK. ABSOLUTLY ADORED IT, DARLINGS. If I had to choose three words with which to describe this book it would be: vivid, thrilling, creative.


- So there's these 'snippets' at the beginning and the end, from: 'The Student Librarian's Handbook', 'Irene's Top Five Books Heists,' and 'Legends of the Library'. These didn't really pertain to the actual story, but they were SO interesting and informational.

- The political side of things (the feuds and relationships between Fae/Dragons, Fae/Humans, Dragons/Humans and Fae/Humans/Dragons) was much more prominent in this book than in the first one, and I LOVED it. Honestly I cannot resist a book where there is a strong political slant (as in fictional politics, just to be clear. Not real life politics)


- We learned so much more about the Fae and the Dragons, which I really enjoyed. (The Fae are so crazy and interesting omg)

- Is it bad that I actually liked some of the Fae? I think my favorite was Zayanna.

- THE VENICE SETTING. WAS. THE. BEST. SETTING. EVER. To be honest, I wouldn't mind living there, even though it's a completely chaotic world. It was just so vibrant and crazy and exotic.





- The prologue is Kai getting kidnapped, but then the first five or so chapters are set before he was kidnapped. I honestly got a little confused. Like, did they catch him, maybe put a tracking device on him and then let him go??? WHAT IS HAPPENING.

- Irene feels a little like a Mary Sue character. Just a bit.


Thank you to New American Library publishing (ROC) for the review copy! The Masked City(The Invisible Library #2) was published September 6, 2016.

Librarian-spy Irene is working undercover in an alternative London when her assistant Kai goes missing. She discovers he's been kidnapped by the fae faction and the repercussions could be fatal. Not just for Kai, but for whole worlds.

Kai's dragon heritage means he has powerful allies, but also powerful enemies in the form of the fae. With this act of aggression, the fae are determined to trigger a war between their people - and the forces of order and chaos themselves.

Irene's mission to save Kai and avert Armageddon will take her to a dark, alternate Venice where it's always Carnival. Here Irene will be forced to blackmail, fast talk, and fight. Or face death.


And that's it, my friends!
Have you read The Masked City, and did you like it? Do you like alternate worlds?(answer: yes) Dragons or Fae?(I think I'm going to go with Fae) Tell me below!





4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! When it gets to the point where the heroine is sat in the bar debating whether she's the heroine (and in the clear), or a minor villain (and about to be arrested) the fourth wall isn't so much broken as nonexistant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this series, but I after reading your review I'm definitely convinced to give it a try! It sounds so good. <3 Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing series! I'm so glad you are going to give it a try :D

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.