Thursday, 1 September 2016

The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett // Witches, witches, witches!


Alright, I'll admit I have an insane mild addiction to Terry Pratchett books (even though I haven't read even half of his books. The man wrote so many books omg. Luckily for me, you don't have to read the Discworld series in order, you can read it in any order you like.) BUT LET'S JUST IGNORE THE FACT THAT I HAVEN'T READ HALF OF THEM YET AND MOVE ON TO SHRIEKING ABOUT JUST HOW AWESOME AND PERFECT THIS LAST BOOK IN THE DISCWORLD SERIES WAS.




- Tiffany has always been my favorite character in the Discworld series, and she's come so far. She started off as a very timid witch, not really believing in herself.....and the transformation was amazing. She's so strong and powerful and independent, and utterly witch-y (that's a word! I swear it is!) and I just loved her soo much.


- Terry Pratchett's writing is absolutely delectable, and this book was no exception. I want to devour his writing and absorb it's magical powers so that I can write stuff like it (shhh that's totally normal, I promise.)

- Terry Pratchett also has a funny sense of humour, that mocks human nature and all of the silly things we mortals do and say. I LOVE IT.

"Alas for us, our dreams came true.*
*Thus proving that dreams that come true are not always the right dreams. Does wearing a glass slipper lead to a comfortable life? If everything you touched turned into marshmallows, won't that make things a bit...sticky?"

"Lord Swivel's father had inherited money and the title from his father, a great master builder, but he had become a drunkard and wasted almost all of it.*
*Lord Swivel's father reckoned it no waste, and that he had thoroughly enjoyed drinking the family fortune. At least, he thought this until he drank so much he fell over and met a gentleman with a decided lack of flesh on his bones and the definitive addition of a scythe a good few years earlier than he should have done."

- Okay so this will be a major spoiler, so don't read this unless you wish to be spoiled. I loved how the Faery Queen learned how to be good. That moment when she first did something kind for someone, and she felt happy was just way to cute. I may or may not have grinned, squealed, and then lay down on the floor for awhile.

- Geoffry and his pet goat Mephistopheles. BEST. CHARACTER. EVER. Next to Tiffany, that is. Also his pet goat is the best pet ever omg. I want a pet goat.



-As always, the Feegles were hilarious. I love them so much.



-WARNING: THIS IS ANOTHER SPOILER. SO...um....THE FAERY QUEEN DIES. THIS IS NOT OKAY! AND JUST WHEN I WAS STARTING TO LIKE HER TOO! ARGH. So unnecessary.

- The was this huge climax, to the two battles, and then, the actual battles were kinda..anticlimactic. The faeries, I felt, were beaten to easily, and too quickly, but that's just my opinion.


- IT'S THE LAST DISCWORLD BOOK BECAUSE TERRY IS DEAD. We are never going to get another Discworld book. (I really, really, wanted a book series about Geoffrey and his pet goat...) But he's dead. *A moment of silence for one of the kings among authors*


 

And that was my review of The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett. Have you read The Shepherd's Crown? Are you going too? Have you read any Terry Pratchett books, and if so, which is your favorite? (And if you haven't read a Terry Pratchett book, I recommend you do. Immediately.) Tell me down below!


8 comments:

  1. Great review! :)
    I've only read two Pratchett books: Equal Rites and Good Omens (which was Neil Gaiman as well), but I have vague plans to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I haven't read Equal Rites or Good Omens, but I intend to read them sometime.

      Delete
  2. Terry Pratchett is an amazing author! XD I've read the entire Discworld series and loved it. It's a shame we don't get a book about the pet goat; that would have been so great. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA. You've read the ENTIRE Discworld series?! *bows to your supreme reading powers*
      UGH I knowwwww. I need a book so badly about that goat Meph..Mephistophcles...or how ever you spell it 0_o

      Delete
  3. *SOBBING*
    THIS BOOK. MIRONIEL. WERE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME CRY.
    And yes, I absolutely, positively ADORE the Discworld series. It's so wonderful to finally find others who do as well! My favorite book by far is Witches Abroad - if you haven't read it yet, you NEED to.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sobs with you* yesss I was trying to make you cry. JK.
      I'M SO GLAD I HAVE PEOPLE TO FLAIL WITH ABOUT TERRY PRATCHETT BOOKS. ahem.
      Unfortunately, I have not read Witches Abroad, but it seems I must. And you know, I want to read it. There's just that little question of time, and of course, my TBR.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one but I actually won it, so...maybe I will read it soon!?? omg I didn't know you could read them out of order! THAT GIVES ME HOPE. Aren't there like 50 Discworld books or something?! *SCREAMS* I really have no idea where to start so I've done nothing haha. I did read Good Omens which was co-authored by Terry Pratchett (and Neil Gaiman!) and I LOVED THAT TO ABSOLUTE PIECES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly being able to read them out of order is the best thing ever, because what if your library doesn't have book one but has book 10? No problem, just read book 10.
    I haven't rad Good Omens....*hides in shame* I shall endeavour to read it in the future.

    ReplyDelete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.