Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Beautiful Books 2016 ~ Introduce Your Novel || Even Though I'm Not Doing NaNoWriMo, I Decided To Do The Beautiful Books Link Up #Rebel


Today I'll be doing the Beautiful Books link up, hosted by Cait @Paper Fury and Sky @ further up and further in. This is supposed to be for NaNoWriMo, but even though I'm not participating, I really wanted to do this link up. #rebellious
NOW FOR THE QUESTIONS!!

1) What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
I'm not sure what inspired Gearbound. I have a love of all things steampunk, and I think that the idea for Gearbound just sort of...happened. I've had the idea for Gearbound for about half a year now.

2) Describe what your novel is about!
Lynna Whitby is a teenage girl who loves inventing, living in a Victorian steampunk England. Her biggest dream is to attend Gearbound Academy for Inventors, Scientists and Spies. There's only one problem: Gearbound is just for boys. So when her parents decide to send her to a ladies' college, Lynna, along with her pet, a talking sarcastic mechanimal dragon,  decides it's time to take matters into her own hands. With the help of her Great Uncle Elias, (who is the Principle of Gearbound, and who has always encouraged her inventing) and a friendly warlock, she escapes and masquerades as a boy at Gearbound. Things are fine(apart from the fact that her room mate is evil), until she discovers a plot to assassinate the royal family, and no one believes her. It's up to Lynna, her dragon and the few friends she has to solve this mystery and save the royal family...before it's to late.

You can read what I've written of it so far on Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/story/51769498-gearbound

3) What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
You can find the pinterest board for it here: https://www.pinterest.com/mironiel/gearbound-wip/

4) Introduce us to each of your characters!
(The characters will be introducing themselves. That way it's more fun)

Lynna: Hello! My name's Lynna. I'm seventeen, and my favorite thing to do it invent things!

Elly: I thought it was playing games with me. Oh, I'm supposed to introduce myself? Alright then. Hi! My name's Elly, and I'm Lynna's mechanimal dragon sidekick. My favorite pastime is chasing cats and destroying their dirty little souls.

Reyn*to Elly*: You're hardly capable of destroying their souls. I, on the other hand, am very capable of doing so. Greetings! My name is Reyn Knowland, and I'm an apprentice warlock. I don't really have a hobby, since being an apprentice takes up most of my time. I do love reading, though.

And those are our main characters! There are others(who aren't main characters, but are essential to the story) , Great Uncle Elias, Jacobi, Mr. and Mrs. Whitby, but they aren't available to talk at the moment, since Great Uncle Elias is dealing with a rogue student, Jacobi is helping plot against the royal family, and Mr. and Mrs. Whitby are having tea with the new family in town, so that Mrs. Whitby can find out what type of people they are.

5) How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
I don't. I'm very much a panster. Outlines rarely happen, research is sporadic, chocolate is hard to come by (all my money is spent on books/merchandise and other necessities, so I substitute chocolate for tea) and howling is in great abundance. What writer doesn't howl at some time in their writing career? I make a point of howling every two hours. I'm sure that by this point, my family thinks I'm a werewolf. #writerproblems


Basically me while writing.


6) What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
Well this is more about the second draft, since I'm nearly done the first draft, so what I'm most looking forward to about the second draft is all the changes I'm going to make, that will really improve the story.

7) List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
-  Steam powered castle that is constantly changing it's shape
- Warlocks
- Dirigibles

8) What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
Lynna's first goal was to attend Gearbound, but now her second and third goals are so 1) Get evidence of the plot and eventually 2) to stop the plot. What stands in her way? Oh basically everyone and everything.

9) How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
Not sure yet. My characters change in ways I don't expect them too, so yeah. I don't know.

10)What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
If people don't believe in you, ignore them and do it anyways! Doing things yourself is always better than relying on other people, and remember, stopping an evil plot is impossible without a cup of strong tea.
My readers should feel something similar to what happens when an atomic bomb goes off. And pain. Lots of pain. Gearbound is a duology, so the pain is more for the ending of the second book.
How I hope my readers will react to the ending of book two of Gearbound.

And that was the Beautiful Books link up! What are you guys doing for NaNoWriMo?Part of the reason why I'm not doing it is I'm kinda scared to. Please convince me to do it next year. Oh and link me to your Beautiful Books!! Good luck with NaNoWriMo, I hope you all survive.

5 comments:

  1. Steampunk! Yay!
    Question. How exactly does pinterest work? I've never used it, but everyone else seems to use it when they're planning their WIPs so...do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MECHANICAL DRAGON THO.๐Ÿ˜ I think Gearbound sounds fantastic! And I love what you listed for the setting too, eeep. And the messages? Yes yes. Anything is possible with tea (although I'd like to add cake into that because tea + cake = ability to do anything of ever afterward).
    I'm so glad you joined in!! And it didn't have to be just for NaNo novels anyway, so you're completely fine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* I'm so glad you think Gearbound sounds awesome! Oh yes I forgot about cake. Although personally I think pizza is a better option, but every person for themselves, eh?
      hahah I saw the link up, and I was like 'ASDFGHJKL I HAVE TO DO THIS EVEN IF I'M NOT DOING NANO' :D

      Delete
  3. Gearbound sounds really cool! I do enjoy a good steampunk, and yes to sarcastic mechanical dragons! I really don't know if I'll be doing NaNo this year; I want to...but at the same time life is going to be crazy so I'm really unsure. Loved this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Steampunk is a wonderful genre, but it is sadly rather underrated, I think.
      November seems to be a busy time of year for many people XD
      And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.