Thursday, 19 January 2017

Beautiful Books ~ 2017 Writing Goals

Wow we're already half way through Janurary! How crazy is that??! Today I am doing the Beautiful Books ~ 2017 Writing Goals edition! Beautiful Books is a link up hosted by Cait @Paper Fury and Sky @further up and further in. Let's do this!



What were your writing achievements last year?
I'm not sure, to be honest. 2016 was a slow year for me. But I did finish the (terrible) first draft of my sci-fi novel and started my next novel, Gearbound, which is actually going to be a duology. I tried editing the sci-fi one, but I feel like it's unredeemable at the moment. And that's okay. I had so much fun living in that world, but for now, it's over.  Maybe when I've grown more as a writer I'll come back to it and I will see it with fresh eyes. I am close to the end of Gearbound, so I hope to finish it by the end of February.

What’s on your writerly “to-do list” for 2017?
Mainly to finish the first draft of Gearbound, edit it, and start the second draft. I'd also like to write this fanfic I've been wanting to do. It's a Supernatural/Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children crossover. I'm kinda of considering doing a bit of work on Bumble Bee as well. We'll see.

Tell us about your top-priority writing projects for this year!
GEARBOUND! Honestly I need to finish it. Even if I do nothing else, I'll be happy.

How do you hope to improve as a writer? Where do you see yourself at the end of 2017?
That's a tough question. I hope that by the end of 2017 I'll be able to consistently write 400+ words a day. I don't know where I'll be at the end of 2017, but hopefully at a comfortable place.


Describe your general editing process.

First I start off with good intentions. I write and cut and paste and copy and things are going well.

But then I get bored. I hit a roadblock and this happens. I open Tumblr. All is lost.


And when I'm done with social media and youtube, I enter the boredom stage, where I sit and stare at my screen. I stare at what I've edited until I feel like sacrificing 12 goats to the old pagan gods.


Then I decide I need fuel, and I make many pots of coffee/tea and drink it like so:




The fuel hits my brain, and my imagination is sparked. And I start editing again, while drinking the remainder of coffee/tea exactly like this:


          That is how I edit. While it is time consuming, I definitely recommend this method.

On a scale of 1-10, how do you think this draft turned out?
So far, I'd say five. It's not bad, but it needs SO MUCH EDITING AND RE-WRITING. OH GOD SO MUCH RE-WRITING.

What aspect of your draft needs the most work?
The plot. While it's good, it needs, as aforementioned, SO MUCH RE-WRITING OH GOD SO MUCH RE-WRITING.

What do you like the most about your draft?
That it's so vibrant! I feel like I've partially managed to capture the strangeness and insane-ness of my world. Also Elly. I love that dragon so much.

What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
More edits! Until I feel happy with it, and then I will be finding some beta readers. Then more edits. And then querying. I want it to be officially published.

What’s your top piece of advice for those just finished writing a first draft?
The ending has to be strong. Your opening words and your ending words have to be strong. The whole book has to be strong, but especially the final ones. If it's a standalone, you want those last words to mimic an atomic bomb going off in the reader's mind. If it's a series, you those last words to mimic an atomic bomb going off in the reader's mind, so that they'll read the next book.

And that was the Beautiful Books January Edition! What are your goals for writing in 2016? Have you (unlike me) finished your projects? Tell me all in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! Yesss, Ely's great :) And she has a pretty great name too, ya'know?

    My biggest goal is to finish my steampunk/fairyland mashup novel, Karissa Goldlock's Guide to (Almost) Utterly Everything. Other than that, I'll probably continue revamping my fantasy series and pick my heaven vs. hell novella back up.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yeah. Everyone loves Elly and it makes me so happy.
      Okay but your steampunk/fairyland novel sounds FANTASTIC. Good luck with all your writing goals!

      Delete
  2. YAS! I love your advice in 10...it's so important to have strong beginnings and endings...and also middles so readers don't quit and wander off. *feeds books cake to make them grow strong and capable* And I so hope you get to where you want to be with Gearbound! Also the fanfic sounds absolutely fantastic. ;)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks! It's kinda my golden rule for writing.
      Good luck to you too with your writing goals!

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.