Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs || GAH IT'S BEAUTIFUL


FINALLY. I finally read Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs. I was so excited to read it, because I'm such a big fan of the original Miss Peregrine's trilogy. This review is going to be divided by mini reviews of each tale in the book. Okay but the COVER AND THE ILLUSTRATIONS. SO BEAUTFUL GAH.

THE TALES:
Every tale was unique from the others, yet somehow were similar and all worked as one in the peculiar universe. Each tale also had a moral to it. The writing was whimsical and fun, but not silly or childish.

The Splendid Cannibals: This tale was a strong start to the book. It was very strange, but that is to expected. It was not my favourite, but again, it was a strong start. 3/5 stars.


The Forked Tongued Princess: A princess who has serpent tongue fights against beauty standards and misogyny and who kicks ass? YES PLEASE. 5/5 stars


The First Ymbryne: This one was by far my favourite tale out of the book. Back when I was reading the Miss Peregrine's trilogy, I was very curious about how loops and ymbrynes came to be. If you ever wondered that as well, go read this tale. It will answer all your questions. Besides, the main character is a strong female who does what she thinks is best, not a council of grumpy old men. 5/5 stars



The Woman Who Befriended Ghosts: This was my second favourite tale. It was so whimsical and funny and sad and happy. THAT ENDING THOUGH. I LOVED IT. 5/5 stars.



Cocobolo: This was probably the most peculiar tale of all. I liked it, but......It was slightly to peculiar for my taste. 3/5 stars


The Pigeons of St. Paul's: This was a very serious tale. My only problem with it was that the pigeons were far more evenly matched against the humans that they should have been. 4/5 stars


The Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares: The most serious tale of all, with the best moral. I loved it. It was scary, creepy, and I couldn't stop reading it. 5/5 stars


The Locust: The moral of this one was (I think?) that parents should love their children unconditionally and try to understand them. 4/5 stars


The Boy Who Could Hold Back The Sea: This was my fourth favourite(The third was The Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares) and it was a gripping story. It also made me very angry. But the ending was happy, so that's alright now. 5/5 stars


The Tale of Cuthbert: Ahhh our good friend Cuthbert from book two of the Miss Peregrine's trilogy. I liked this story! I already kind of knew the outline of it because it was in Hollow City, but that's okay. 4/5 stars.



OVERALL: 4 and 1/2 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed this compilation of the Tales, and I can't wait for the new peculiar trilogy that Ransom Riggs is writing.


OKAY COMMENT TIME. HAVE YOU READ MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN? HAVE YOU READ THE TALES OF THE PECULIAR? ARE YOU GOING TO? OH AND WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE MOVIE? I WATCHED IT RECENTLY, AND QUITE ENJOYED IT, DESPITE THE CHANGES.

8 comments:

  1. I've not read any of the Peculiar books, but I really enjoyed the movie! Tales of the Peculiar looks super good; those illustrations are gorgeous!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was quite good, but sadly it changed a lot of things. I think you'd really enjoy the books!
      IKR SUCH PRETTY ILLUSTRATIONS.

      Delete
  2. I have read MPHFPC. Loved it. Will be reading the rest of the series. Movie was disappointing though..and I'm a Tim Burton fan. Have not read this book yet. But it's on my TBR list 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes definitely continue with the rest of the series! I was okay with the movie, because the author, Ransom Riggs, liked it. But it was disappointing all the same.

      Delete
  3. Oooh THIS IS SO PRETTY THOUGH!! I totally am considering continuing with this series even though honestly I didn't really love the first book. :P But I did read it as an ebook and I wonder if I'd been able to see the photos properly (I read it via a library website and it was glitchy) whether I might've appreciated it more?? Anyway, I will definitely see the movie eventually!! :D I'm glad you loved so many of the stories woooo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes do continue with the series! It's a much better reading experience to read it in book form.
      The movie was good(although also kinda disappointing??!), but I would recommend that you finish the series first ;)
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by this author! And I'm not brilliant at reading short stories, in fact, I tend not to read them at all unless my course says I have to. Still, some of these look delightfully creepy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to also avoid short stories, but since I love the original trilogy so much, I decided I needed to read it.
      Oh yes. They are VERY delightfully creepy XD

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.